Frequently Asked Questions

  1. What should I do if I get hurt on my job?
    • Notify your supervisor or employer immediately of your injury.
    • Get necessary medical treatment.
    • Complete a written accident report.
  2. Why should I file a workers’ compensation claim?
    • Filing an accident report is not the same as filing a workers’ compensation claim. A claim must be filed within two years from the date of injury or two years from the date that you last received a temporary total disability check from your workers’ compensation insurance carrier.
    • Filing a claim protects your right to payment for medical treatment.
    • Filing a claim protects your right to future medical benefits.
    • Filing a claim may entitle you to temporary disability benefits.
    • Filing a claim may entitle you to permanent disability benefits.
    • Filing a claim may protect your right to vocational rehabilitation.
  3. Can I choose my own doctor?
    • Yes.
    • Your employer may also send you to their doctor, but you have the right to go to a doctor of your choosing.
    • You must be comfortable with your doctor and be able to talk to your doctor.
    • Not all doctors are created equal. Many doctors have different medical specialties.
    • Check to see if your doctor is covered by your employer’s workers’ compensation insurance.
  4. Do I need an attorney?
    • Yes.
    • You need experienced help to navigate the workers’ compensation system and to get appropriate medical treatment.
    • The calculation of your disability benefits can be complex.
    • Workers’ compensation insurance companies are in the business of making money. They will review and evaluate your claim to minimize their costs and minimize the amount of money paid to you.
    • Sometimes the value of your claim may be doubled or tripled.
  5. What will an attorney cost?
    • Initial consultation is free.
    • Attorney’s fees are contingent fees. You pay no attorney’s fees unless we get money for you.
    • Every attorney in Kentucky charges the same fee. This fee is set by the Commonwealth of Kentucky and is a percentage of your recovery.
  6. What do I do if the insurance company offers me a settlement of my claim?
    • Do not sign the settlement agreement without first talking to an attorney.
    • A knowledgeable attorney will review the settlement proposal at no cost and tell you if the agreement is fair.
  7. Will my employer fire me for filing a workers’ compensation claim?
    • An employer is not allowed to retaliate against an injured employee for filing a workers’ compensation claim.
    • An employer could be subject to legal action if they fire an employee for pursuing a workers’ compensation claim.